Sunday, September 29, 2013

C4K's for September








C4K Post # 1


For our first Comments for Kids assignment, I was assigned to a girl in high school. I didn’t catch her name. The classes  blog post was supposed to be about “Why they believe….” She went on to tell about her older cousin. He was gay, and his family wasn’t very acceptive of his choice. She went into detail of how she was raised Southern and in Church. Her grandfather was even a preacher. She explained some of the things that she was raised to believe. She stated that only the younger people in her family was there for her cousin, and the elders turned their back on him. He then decided that he was going to take his life, he told his family about this thought and they all came around and were acceptive of his decision. She then said that she started forming her own opinions and became open minded about her own thoughts instead of going by what she was raised up to believe. She also stated part of a bible verse in her blog. Her final sentence was “This is why I believe everyone should be treated the same.”

My response:
For my first  C4K blog post, I was amazed at what I had to read! I was in shock, to begin with I was scared to respond to her post! I was under the thought that she was only in third grade,  I couldn’t believe she understood so much at such a young age. I told her she very wise at such a young age. I told her that being open minded is a very good thing to be. I was also glad to hear her family decided to accept her cousin no matter what choice he made. I was saddened however that he had to say he was going to take his own life to get his family to support his decision. This is a different day in time. I explained to her that most of the time older people are more set in their ways than younger people. I later found out that this girl was in high school, I felt a little better about the situation she had encountered but it was still sad!



C4K Post  # 2


For my second comment for kids post, I chose Toto, his blog post was titled “Things I like and Things I do not like”. I really enjoyed his post because it reminded me of how simple life was when we were children. He liked football, tennis, and soccer. He liked hamburgers. He also liked pretty much every electronic device you could think of! His dislikes were tomatoes and a few other simple things! One was waking up early!

My response:
I let Toto know that I found his blog post because I was in the EDM310 class at the University of South Alabama. I told Toto that I loved his post! I then said Toto that we had a few similarities! I told him that I love football, and playing playstation and I didn’t like to get up early either! For my question to him, I asked, “how do you know you do not like tomatoes?” I then went on to tell him that I thought I didn’t like tomatoes, but it was because I would never try them when I was little! Now I eat them on my salads and sandwiches! I wonder if he decided to try them?!



C4K  Post # 3


For my third C4K assignment I got to see a blog by a  little Tongan girl named Efilona. The title of her post was “My Son is Naughty”. I did not know what to expect, but it turned out that Efilona had to make up a word problem for math! This is what she said:


“Jack and Ray were at the rugby. Ray’s team was winning
so Jack decided to give Ray a problem to deflate his ego a
bit. So Jack said “Did you know that today is my three
sons’ birthday?” “How old are they?” Ray asked taking
the bite. “I’ll give you a hint. The product of their ages is
36 and the sum of their ages is 13,” Jack replied. “That’s
no help,” said Ray. So Jack weakened and gave him
another clue. “O.K. My youngest son is very naughty.”
“Nothing to it,” exclaimed Ray and he told Jack the
correct ages of his sons.
How did Ray figure out the correct answer and what are
Jack’s sons’ ages?”


She also added a video clip of herself and a friend explaining the answer to the problem and how they came to their answer.

My response:
I first let Efilona know who I was and why I was commenting on her post! I told Efilona how great she did at making up her very own word problem. I let her know that many people don’t enjoy math and that she seemed to be very interested in the subject, and she should keep up the good work! I also complimented the video she put on her post, showing others the answer to her word problem she created. She did an amazing job. I told her to continue to excel in school and enjoy these last few months! I was really excited that she is so young and can already make a video and post it to her blog. Things that I am just now experiencing at the age of 26! I can’t wait to teach my students how to do these things!


C4K # 4

For my last C4K for the month of September, I was assigned to Maria. She is a student in Mrs. Ripps class in Madison, Wiscousin. Maria didn't write a blog post about Mrs. Ripp's Challenge # 3. Her last post is called Meet Maria. In this post she tells about her life and things she likes. I enjoyed reading this post, because I miss life being as simple as it is in a childs point of view. She loves to read!! I was so happy to read that. She has three favorite colors which are purple, black, and red. She lives to play and sleep. She likes to play with her brother and her cousins. Her last sentence is, "My favorite food is Mexican food." 


My response:

While reading Maria's post, I was so happy to see life from a 5th graders point of view. So simple! I miss that. I was so happy to see that she loved to read, I hope she carries that passion with her throughout her life! I told her that we had a lot in common. When she said what her favorite color was, she asked what was my favorite color?  I told her my favorite color was also purple, and explained that purple was my high schools mascot. I never liked it while I was in school, but now that I don't have to wear it all the time I love it. I also told her that I had two brothers and that they are twins. I also always enjoyed playing with my brothers and my cousins. I always enjoy to tell the kids that I like to sleep too! She ended her about me post with her favorite food, which is mexican. I told her that I worked as a waitress at a Mexican restaurant but my favorite food is Chinese food. She had very few interest to be in 5th grade, but I like how she said exactly what she liked and didn't let on that she had any dislikes. I also added that I hoped she had a great year in 5th grade!



No comments:

Post a Comment